E-C Translation Exercises

Saturday, June 09, 2007

Reference Translation of Exercise 6 -- Interview with President Chen

問:感謝總統先生今天撥冗接受訪問。

Q. Thank you for taking time to receive us. I know you have a lot of work to do. I appreciate it very much to have the opportunity to interview you.


答:今天是3月13日,剛好也是10年前1996年台海飛彈危機第2枚飛彈落在高雄外海的日子,最近的 距離只有55公里就到台灣的本土。但是二位應該非常的清楚,10年前1996年的這個時候,我們正在舉行有史以來第一次國家領導人-總統-的直接民選。台灣在推動民主、在深化民主、在鞏固民主,結果中國竟然用武力相向,這是非常不可思議的事情。

中國可以不實施民主,但不能反對台灣施行,也不應該用飛彈、用武力來威脅。還好當時美國政府柯林頓總統派出兩艘航空母艦,化解飛彈危機,讓台灣順利地舉行第一次總統直接民選的政治工程。10年過去了,我們真的感觸很深,對2300萬台灣人民來講,感觸更深。大家都注意到中國的崛起,我們也希望中國的崛起伴隨的是和平的崛起以及民主的覺醒。

A: Today is March 13. Exactly ten years ago today, the second missile of the Taiwan Strait missile crisis landed off the coast of Kaohsiung. The nearest missile landed about 55 km from Taiwan. I think both of you are fully aware that around this time ten years ago Taiwan was holding its first-ever direct election of its national leader, the president. While Taiwan was engaged in promoting, deepening, and consolidating democracy, China was using military force to intimidate Taiwan. This was unbelievable.

China can refuse to practice democracy, but it should not oppose Taiwan practicing it. It should not have used missiles to intimidate Taiwan. Fortunately, the US government, under the leadership of President Clinton, sent two aircraft carriers to the region, successfully resolving the missile crisis and enabling Taiwan to complete its first-ever direct presidential election. Ten years have passed. We have deep thoughts and feelings on that happening. Everyone has noticed the emergence of China. We hope that it will be a peaceful emergence marked by the awakening to democracy in China.

二、問:我雖然從中國來,但我跟總統保證,我不是一個假扮飛彈的記者。今天想就兩個主題來進行訪問,個人要請教有關台灣的議題;我的同事從日本來,他想要請教台灣與日本相關的議題。終止國統會,據我的了解,現在可說已經結束了,想知道總統有何看法,或總統的理解?

Q. Well, I come from China, but I assure you that I am not a missile from China disguised as a journalist. I just wanted to ask you . . . There are really two chapters here, one is that I hope to ask you about what's going on here in Taiwan, and my colleague from Tokyo is very interested in relations between Taiwan and Japan, which are flourishing, of course. So, if you don't mind, we'll sort of break this into two chapters. So, may we begin perhaps with asking you this recent episode about the National Unification Council, which I understand it is now finished, and that the episode is done. Is that your understanding?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home