E-C Translation Exercises

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Bonus translation exercise 3

True Nobility

by Ernest Miller Hemingway (Do not have to translate)

In a calm sea every man is a pilot. But all sunshine without shade, all pleasure without pain, is not life at all. Take the lot of the happiest men -- it is a tangled yarn. Bereavements and blessings, one following another, make us sad and blessed by turns. Even death itself makes life more loving. Men come closest to their true selves in the sober moments of life, under the shadows of sorrow and loss.

...................

I have always believed that the man who has begun to live more seriously within begins to live more simply without. In an age of extravagances and waste, I wish I could show to the world how few the real wants of humanity are.

17 Comments:

At 10:12 AM, Blogger 棲息 said...

True Nobility

by Ernest Miller Hemingway (Do not have to translate)

In a calm sea every man is a pilot. But all sunshine without shade, all pleasure without pain, is not life at all. Take the lot of the happiest men -- it is a tangled yarn. Bereavements and blessings, one following another, make us sad and blessed by turns. Even death itself makes life more loving. Men come closest to their true selves in the sober moments of life, under the shadows of sorrow and loss.

...................

I have always believed that the man who has begun to live more seriously within begins to live more simply without. In an age of extravagances and waste, I wish I could show to the world how few the real wants of humanity are.

真正的高貴

在寧靜的海上,每個人都是水手。
但人生若是充滿陽光而沒有陰影、充滿快樂而沒有痛苦,那不能夠稱之為人生。最幸福的人,是有著曲折故事的人。
失去和恩賜往往接踵而來,使我們或是傷心或是感謝。即使是死亡,也使生命更添魅力。人們在懊悔和失去的陰影下,才能清醒的找到真正真實的自我。
*
我相信人若開始生活的嚴謹,內心也會跟著簡樸。在這個奢侈與浪費的年代,我希望我能向世界證明,人類真正需要的其實不多。

J4A 1093304031 Alice Lin

 
At 7:49 PM, Blogger wonderwan said...

To Alice:

Generally, it is a good translation, particularly for the first paragraph.

There seems to be some lapses in the following sentences:

人們在懊悔和失去的陰影下

人若開始生活的嚴謹,內心也會跟著簡樸

人類真正需要的其實不多

Please correct them, if you can.

 
At 7:52 AM, Blogger Leticia said...

真正的高貴

風平浪靜時,人人都可以是舵手。但人生若是充滿陽光而無陰影、充滿喜樂而無苦難,便不能夠稱之為人生。即便是最幸福的人,也有著曲折的人生。挫折、恩賜接踵而至,使我們時而難過、時而開心。即使是死亡,也使人生更加精采。在哀痛與懊悔籠罩之下,人們才能真正清醒地面對自我。

...................

我始終相信,內在愈嚴謹,外表愈樸實。在這奢侈浪費的年代,我真希望點醒全世界的人--我們真正的需求其實不多。

 
At 7:53 AM, Blogger Leticia said...

*補充

E4A 1093300020 Leticia Chen

 
At 1:07 AM, Blogger wonderwan said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 1:08 AM, Blogger wonderwan said...

To leticia:

1. Pretty good translation.

2. However, could you just re-translate the following two passages:

Take the lot of the happiest men -- it is a tangled yarn. (lot表那群人)

在哀痛與懊悔籠罩之下

 
At 8:36 AM, Blogger Elaine said...

True Nobility
真正的高貴
by Ernest Miller Hemingway (Do not have to translate)

In a calm sea every man is a pilot. But all sunshine without shade, all pleasure without pain, is not life at all. Take the lot of the happiest men -- it is a tangled yarn. Bereavements and blessings, one following another, make us sad and blessed by turns. Even death itself makes life more loving. Men come closest to their true selves in the sober moments of life, under the shadows of sorrow and loss.
在風平浪靜之時,人人皆是好的領航員。倘若只有陽光沒有陰影;只有歡笑而沒有哭泣,又怎能串出多采多姿的人生。即使是最幸福的人,人生也如被糾纏的毛線。喪親之痛與神恩賜福在生命中不斷輪替,這些使我們時喜時憂。實際上死亡讓我們了解生命的珍貴。人們往往在悲傷和迷失的陰影下,才能找到人生中最原始的自己。
...................

I have always believed that the man who has begun to live more seriously within begins to live more simply without. In an age of extravagances and waste, I wish I could show to the world how few the real wants of humanity are.

我始終相信,內心嚴謹的人,外在也會相對的樸實。這是個虛華浮實且過度浪費的時代,我期望自己能夠讓世人了解到人類所求的其實不多。


S4A Elaine Chen 1093303048

 
At 7:22 AM, Blogger S4ANO4 said...

S4A 1093303026
True Nobility

by Ernest Miller Hemingway (Do not have to translate)

In a calm sea every man is a pilot. But all sunshine without shade, all pleasure without pain, is not life at all. Take the lot of the happiest men -- it is a tangled yarn. Bereavements and blessings, one following another, make us sad and blessed by turns. Even death itself makes life more loving. Men come closest to their true selves in the sober moments of life, under the shadows of sorrow and loss.

...................

I have always believed that the man who has begun to live more seriously within begins to live more simply without. In an age of extravagances and waste, I wish I could show to the world how few the real wants of humanity are.
真正的高貴
在一片寧靜的大海中人人都可成為水手.但人生中若只有陽光而沒有陰影,若只有快樂而沒有痛苦,那終究不是人生.即使是最幸福的人,也必定經歷過繁亂的事情.失去和恩賜總是接踵而來的,使我們悲傷卻又轉而祝福.就算是死亡本身也讓生活更多彩多姿.在不幸和損失的陰影之下,生命中穩重的時刻使人們更靠近真實的自我
………………..
我總是相信內在越是嚴謹,外在也會變得樸實.在奢侈和浪費的年代,我希望我能告訴全世界人類真正需要的不多

 
At 6:32 AM, Blogger Anne Lin said...

True Nobility
真正的高貴

In a calm sea every man is a pilot.
在無風無雨的海面上,人人皆可為領航員。
But all sunshine without shade, all pleasure without pain, is not life at all.
但是,人生絕非只有陽光而無陰影,絕非只有歡樂而無痛苦。
Take the lot of the happiest men -- it is a tangled yarn.
即便是最幸福的人,他們人生道路卻有如一團糾纏的紗線,如此曲折。
Bereavements and blessings, one following another, make us sad and blessed by turns. Even death itself makes life more loving.
痛苦與幸福,接踵而來,使我們時而悲傷,有而開心。即使是「死亡」,也讓生命更加動人。
Men come closest to their true selves in the sober moments of life, under the shadows of sorrow and loss.
在生命重要的時刻,在哀傷與失去的陰影下,人們才能接近最真實的自我。

...................
I have always believed that the man who has begun to live more seriously within begins to live more simply without.
我始終相信,內在的生活愈嚴謹,外在的生活也會跟著變得更加簡樸
In an age of extravagances and waste, I wish I could show to the world how few the real wants of humanity are.
在一個奢華與浪費的時代裡,但願我能讓世人明白:人類真正所需其實並不多。

G4A 1093302002

 
At 6:24 AM, Blogger wonderwan said...

To Elaine,

1. 喪親之痛 dose not sound quite right.

2. 即使是死亡,卻也能讓我們更加珍愛我們的生命

2. 最原始的自己 dose not sound good.

 
At 3:00 AM, Blogger S4ANO4 said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 3:02 AM, Blogger S4ANO4 said...

在平靜的海面上,每個人都是舵手,但是,假如只有陽光沒有陰影,只有歡樂沒有痛苦,那就算不上人生,對最幸福的人而言,人生就像糾纏在一起的棉線,壞運好運輪流出現,而讓我們悲喜交加,甚至,死亡使人生充滿了愛,而人們在悔恨和失敗的陰影下,才會更貼近真實的自己。

我始終相信,內心生活嚴肅的人,會使外在生活過的簡樸,在這浪費放縱的時代,我想讓人們了解,其實人類真正想要的並不多。


S4A 1093303019 Sandra Sheu

 
At 9:24 AM, Blogger Karen Li said...

True Nobility
In a calm sea every man is a pilot. But all sunshine without shade, all pleasure without pain, is not life at all. Take the lot of the happiest men -- it is a tangled yarn. Bereavements and blessings, one following another, make us sad and blessed by turns. Even death itself makes life more loving. Men come closest to their true selves in the sober moments of life, under the shadows of sorrow and loss.

...................

I have always believed that the man who has begun to live more seriously within begins to live more simply without. In an age of extravagances and waste, I wish I could show to the world how few the real wants of humanity are.

真正的高貴

風平浪靜時,每個人都是好的水手。如果人生裡只有陽光沒有陰影,只有歡樂卻沒有痛苦,又怎能稱的上是多采多姿的人生。即使是最幸福的人,也有著曲折的人生。挫折與神恩在生命中不斷輪替,使我們時而快樂、時而難過。即使是死亡,也能使人生更添精采。人們往往在人生最低潮時,才能真正清醒地面對自我。

我深信不疑的是,內在愈嚴謹,外表愈樸實。在這奢侈浪費的時代,我希望能向全世界的人證明--人類真正所需的其實不多。


E4B 1093300100 Karen Li

 
At 8:27 PM, Blogger wonderwan said...

To Sandra:

1. I don't think the following translations are good:

死亡使人生充滿了愛 (make life loving?)

而人們在悔恨和失敗的陰影下 (sober moment?)

人類真正想要的並不多 (humanity)

 
At 8:33 PM, Blogger wonderwan said...

To Karen,

1. Please give a second thought to below:

水手 (pilot?)

人類真正所需的 (humanity?)


1. Below is good translation:

即使是最幸福的人,也有著曲折的人生

人們往往在人生最低潮時,才能真正清醒地面對自我

 
At 8:33 PM, Blogger wonderwan said...

This bonus exercise is closed!

 
At 4:52 AM, Blogger S4ANO4 said...

True Nobility

by Ernest Miller Hemingway (Do not have to translate)

In a calm sea every man is a pilot. But all sunshine without shade, all pleasure without pain, is not life at all. Take the lot of the happiest men -- it is a tangled yarn. Bereavements and blessings, one following another, make us sad and blessed by turns. Even death itself makes life more loving. Men come closest to their true selves in the sober moments of life, under the shadows of sorrow and loss.
真正的高貴
在平靜的大海上,人人都是舵手。人聲中若只有陽光而沒有陰影、有快樂而沒有悲傷,就不是真正的人生。就算是最快樂的人,也會有雜亂的故事。難過的事及快樂的事接連輪替著,使我們感到悲傷和喜悅。即使是死亡,也使人生更加豐富。人們在懊悔及迷失的陰影下,使得他們更貼近真實的自我。
...................

I have always believed that the man who has begun to live more seriously within begins to live more simply without. In an age of extravagances and waste, I wish I could show to the world how few the real wants of humanity are.
我總相信若人生活開始嚴謹,內心就會開始樸實,在這奢侈浪費的時代,我希望我能像世界證明:人類真正需要的並不多。

S4A 1093303022 Amy
S4A 1093303045 Ashley

 

Post a Comment

<< Home