E-C Translation Exercises

Friday, November 23, 2007

Bonus translation exercise 4 - translate any two paragraphs of it into Chinese

What I have lived for

by

Bertrand Russell

Three passions, simply but overwhelming strong, have governed my life: the longing for love, the search for knowledge, and unbearable pity for the suffering of mankind. These passions, like great winds, have blown me hither and thither, in a wayward course, over a deep ocean of anguish, reaching to the very edge of despair.

I have sought love, first, because it brings ecstasy--ecstasy so great that I would often sacrificed all the rest of life for a few hours of this joy. I have sought it, next, because it relieves loneliness--that terrible loneliness in which one shivering consciousness looks over the rim of the world into the cold unfathomable lifeless abyss. I have sought it, finally, because in the union of love I have seen, in a mystic miniature, the prefiguring version of the heaven that saints and poets have imagined. This is what I sought, and though it might seem too good for human life, this is what--at last--I have found.

With equal passion I have sought knowledge. I have wished to understand the hearts of man. I have wished to know why the stars shine. A little of this, but not much, I have achieved.

Love and knowledge, so far as they were possible, led upward toward the heavens. But always pity brought me back to the earth. Echoes of cries of pain reverberate in my heart. Children in famine, victims tortured by oppressors, helpless old people a hated burden to their sons, and the whole world of loneliness, poverty, and pain make a mockery of what human life should be. I long to alleviate the evil, but I cannot, and I too suffer.

This has been my life. I have found it worth living, and would gladly live it again if the chance were offered me.

14 Comments:

At 10:41 PM, Blogger Karen Li said...

E4B 1093300100 Karen

What I have lived for
活著的理由
Three passions, simply but overwhelming strong, have governed my life: the longing for love, the search for knowledge, and unbearable pity for the suffering of mankind. These passions, like great winds, have blown me hither and thither, in a wayward course, over a deep ocean of anguish, reaching to the very edge of despair.
三種激情,簡單卻強烈的主導了我的生活:對愛的渴望、對知識的追求以及對人類苦難不堪忍受的同情。這3種激情就像是變幻莫測的風一樣任意的把我吹來吹去,把我吹向痛苦的深海,到達絕望的邊緣。
I have sought love, first, because it brings ecstasy--ecstasy so great that I would often sacrificed all the rest of life for a few hours of this joy. I have sought it, next, because it relieves loneliness--that terrible loneliness in which one shivering consciousness looks over the rim of the world into the cold unfathomable lifeless abyss. I have sought it, finally, because in the union of love I have seen, in a mystic miniature, the prefiguring version of the heaven that saints and poets have imagined. This is what I sought, and though it might seem too good for human life, this is what--at last--I have found.
我曾經尋找愛,首先是因為它能使我欣喜若狂------這種喜悅之情如此強烈,使我常常為了這幾個小時的喜悅而犧牲了生命裡其他的一切。我尋求愛,其次是因為愛能驅走孤單------那可怕的孤獨,就像一顆顫抖的心在世界的邊緣,注視著下面冰冷、毫無生氣的且望不見底的深淵。我尋求愛是因為在愛的融合裡,我能以某種神秘的圖像看到聖人與詩人所想像的天堂裡未來的景象。這就是我所追求的東西,雖然這似乎對於人類的生命來說過於完美,但這確實是我最終所尋獲的結果。

 
At 12:05 AM, Blogger Elaine said...

What I have lived for
我為何而活
by

Bertrand Russell
伯特蘭‧羅素 著
Three passions, simply but overwhelming strong, have governed my life: the longing for love, the search for knowledge, and unbearable pity for the suffering of mankind. These passions, like great winds, have blown me hither and thither, in a wayward course, over a deep ocean of anguish, reaching to the very edge of despair.
三種既簡單又強烈的情感左右了我的生活:對知識的渴望、對知識的探索以及對人類遭受苦難的憐憫心。這三種情感,就像美妙的微風,恣意地將我吹的飄來飄去,帶我越過痛苦的深海,到達絕望的彼岸。
I have sought love, first, because it brings ecstasy--ecstasy so great that I would often sacrificed all the rest of life for a few hours of this joy. I have sought it, next, because it relieves loneliness--that terrible loneliness in which one shivering consciousness looks over the rim of the world into the cold unfathomable lifeless abyss. I have sought it, finally, because in the union of love I have seen, in a mystic miniature, the prefiguring version of the heaven that saints and poets have imagined. This is what I sought, and though it might seem too good for human life, this is what--at last--I have found.
我追求愛的第一個原因,因為它使人心醉神迷,那種著迷的感覺值得我用剩餘的生命來換取幾小時愉悅感。我追求愛的第二個原因,因為它會減輕孤獨感,那種存在於我們顫抖靈魂中的可怕孤獨感,從世界的邊境到那冰冷、深不可測、死寂深淵的孤獨感。我追求愛的最後一個原因,是因為當愛融合的時候,在神秘的縮影下我看到了聖人及詩人們所預想、描繪的天堂。以上就是我所追求的原因,但我認為這或許對人類而言太奢華了,這是我到最後才發現的。

S4A Elaine Chen 1093303048

 
At 9:14 PM, Blogger wonderwan said...

To Karen:

I think the following translation passages should be reconsidered and redress them to be more communicative in Chinese:

1. 對人類苦難不堪忍受的同情
2. 就像一顆顫抖的心在世界的邊緣
3. 在愛的融合裡,我能以某種神秘的圖像看到聖人與詩人所想像的天堂裡未來的景象

 
At 9:25 PM, Blogger wonderwan said...

To Elaine:

The following passages should be redressed in order to comply with the author's intent:

1. 就像美妙的微風,恣意地將我吹的飄來飄去,帶我越過痛苦的深海,到達絕望的彼岸。
2. 那種存在於我們顫抖靈魂中的可怕孤獨感,從世界的邊境到那冰冷、深不可測、死寂深淵的孤獨感
3. 是因為當愛融合的時候,在神秘的縮影下
4. 但我認為這或許對人類而言太奢華了,這是我到最後才發現的。

 
At 9:26 PM, Blogger wonderwan said...

What I have lived for

我人生所追求的......

 
At 5:33 AM, Blogger Min Jing said...

G4B Jimmi Lee 1093302089

What I have lived for 我所追求的人生
by Bertrand Russell 貝特朗 魯瑟爾

With equal passion I have sought knowledge. I have wished to understand the hearts of man. I have wished to know why the stars shine. A little of this, but not much, I have achieved.

秉持著與追求愛相同的熱情,我曾追求知識。我曾渴望理解人心;我曾渴望了解爲何星光閃爍。我已得到了知識,儘管並不多。

Love and knowledge, so far as they were possible, led upward toward the heavens. But always pity brought me back to the earth. Echoes of cries of pain reverberate in my heart. Children in famine, victims tortured by oppressors, helpless old people a hated burden to their sons, and the whole world of loneliness, poverty, and pain make a mockery of what human life should be. I long to alleviate the evil, but I cannot, and I too suffer.

到目前為止,愛與知識似乎能夠引領我向上通往天堂,但憐憫心總把我從天堂拉回地面。痛苦叫喊的回音在我心中迴響。飢餓中的孩童們、壓迫者折磨受害的人們、無助的老人們成為他們孩子們討厭的重擔,及整個世界的孤獨、窮困,而痛苦應該成為人類生命的樣貌則成了一個笑柄。我渴望減輕這種不幸,但我無能為力,而且我也深陷其中。

 
At 6:10 AM, Blogger S4ANO4 said...

1092303003 Angel Chen

What I have lived for
追求的人生
by Bertrand Russell
伯特蘭‧拉塞爾
Three passions, simply but overwhelming strong, have governed my life: the longing for love, the search for knowledge, and unbearable pity for the suffering of mankind. These passions, like great winds, have blown me hither and thither, in a wayward course, over a deep ocean of anguish, reaching to the very edge of despair.
三種激情,渴望的愛、知識的尋找和不堪忍受憐憫的痛苦人們,很輕易但卻是強大的管理了我的生活。這些激情, 像巨風一樣,將我吹到四處,吹離開任性的方向,吹到痛苦的深海之上,吹到絕望的邊緣。
I have sought love, first, because it brings ecstasy--ecstasy so great that I would often sacrificed all the rest of life for a few hours of this joy. I have sought it, next, because it relieves loneliness--that terrible loneliness in which one shivering consciousness looks over the rim of the world into the cold unfathomable lifeless abyss. I have sought it, finally, because in the union of love I have seen, in a mystic miniature, the prefiguring version of the heaven that saints and poets have imagined. This is what I sought, and though it might seem too good for human life, this is what--at last--I have found.
我曾尋找愛,最初是因為它帶來狂喜 –這巨大的喜悅,使我經常犧牲我其餘的生活就為了這幾小時的狂喜。接下來,我繼續尋找愛,因為它減少孤獨 --那可怕的孤獨,讓清醒的人顫抖,看到世界的邊緣正在一個毫無生氣的深淵上方。 最後,我曾尋找它因為我已經看見愛的結合,在一幅神祕的小圖樣,聖者和詩人已經預先想像的天堂。這就是我在尋找的,以為對人的生活有好處,這是—最後—我所找到的。
With equal passion I have sought knowledge. I have wished to understand the hearts of man. I have wished to know why the stars shine. A little of this, but not much, I have achieved.
有著相等的激情我曾尋找的知識。我曾希望理解人的心。我曾希望知道為什麼星星發亮。一點兒,但不是很多,我已經實現了。
Love and knowledge, so far as they were possible, led upward toward the heavens. But always pity brought me back to the earth. Echoes of cries of pain reverberate in my heart. Children in famine, victims tortured by oppressors, helpless old people a hated burden to their sons, and the whole world of loneliness, poverty, and pain make a mockery of what human life should be. I long to alleviate the evil, but I cannot, and I too suffer.
愛與知識,到目前為止是可能領導我們到天堂的。但是同情總是把我帶回到地球。 回音聲裡痛苦的喊叫聲在我的心裡回響。飢荒的孩子, 壓迫者折磨著受害者,無助老年人成為他們兒子沉重的負擔,世界的孤獨、貧困和痛苦,正嘲笑的人
們生命該如此,我渴望減輕邪惡,我不能,所以我也受苦。
This has been my life. I have found it worth living, and would gladly live it again if the chance were offered me.
這是我的生活。我了解這些是值得我活著,而且我會很快樂的活著。如果再給予我機會讓我重新來過。

 
At 12:58 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

With equal passion I have sought knowledge. I have wished to understand the hearts of man. I have wished to know why the stars shine. A little of this, but not much, I have achieved.
我抱持著相同的熱情來追求知. 我渴望了解人的內心.我想理解星光閃耀的奧秘
雖然所知不多, 但我已心滿意足
Love and knowledge, so far as they were possible, led upward toward the heavens. But always pity brought me back to the earth. Echoes of cries of pain reverberate in my heart. Children in famine, victims tortured by oppressors, helpless old people a hated burden to their sons, and the whole world of loneliness, poverty, and pain make a mockery of what human life should be. I long to alleviate the evil, but I cannot, and I too suffer.
當下, 愛情和知識, 指引我天堂之路. 慈悲心讓我重返紅塵. 撕心掏肺的呻吟蕩氣迴腸. 飢童, 被迫害者, 及久病床前的老人, 孤寂貧苦譏諷現實的人生. 我渴望減少邪惡, 但做不到, 我也為其所傷.

 
At 4:53 AM, Blogger wonderwan said...

To Jimmi:

1. "而痛苦應該成為人類生命的樣貌則成了一個笑柄" seems not so correct.

這些充滿在世界上的痛苦、孤單與貧窮,使人不禁困惑,人類的生活難道真該是這般。

2. Good translation though!

 
At 5:40 AM, Blogger wonderwan said...

To Chung:

1. "但我已心滿意足" seems not to have been mentioned in the original.

2. 但是,慈悲心卻又將我...

3. "撕心掏肺的呻吟" seems not a proper translation
痛苦的哭喊

4. "久病床前" 應是--久病在床遭子女憎恨的

5. "減少邪惡, 但做不到, 我也為其所傷." 應是--減少那些苦痛,但我做不到,反而另我更加苦痛神傷。

6. As I can see, you were quite devoted to this piece of translation work.

 
At 5:30 PM, Blogger wonderwan said...

我的人生目的

在我人生裡有三種激情,它們簡單卻又澎湃地主導著我的人生:對愛的渴求、對知識的探索、及對人類苦痛的無盡悲憫。這三種激情,就像強風一般,將我吹得東倒西歪,偏離了我人生原本的路,吹著我越過浩瀚的痛苦深淵,來到絕望的崖邊。

我曾經追求過愛,因為,它帶給我極大的快樂,而這種快樂,曾讓我甘願用我的餘生,去換取那怕只是幾小時的歡愉。我追求過愛,因為,它撫慰了我的孤單寂寞,可怕的孤單寂寞,就好比,你顫抖著站在世界的邊緣,眺望外面那個不見盡頭寒氣逼人的未知深淵。我一直追求著愛,最後,因為在愛的結合中,我看到了聖人與詩人心目中天堂的縮影。這就是我所追尋的,雖然對世人言,顯得非常遙遠,也過於理想,但是,這些的確是我所找到的人生目的。

 
At 5:31 PM, Blogger wonderwan said...

This bonus translation exercise is closed.

 
At 6:53 AM, Blogger me said...

活著的理由

Three passions, simply but overwhelming strong, have governed my life: the longing for love, the search for knowledge, and unbearable pity for the suffering of mankind. These passions, like great winds, have blown me hither and thither, in a wayward course, over a deep ocean of anguish, reaching to the very edge of despair.

3種熱情,簡單卻強烈,支配著我的人生:熱切的渴望愛, 尋求知識及對人類受苦所產生難以承受的憐憫。這些熱情就像一陣把我吹的又高又遠的強風,在無法預知的路程裡,吹到痛苦的深海之上,吹到絕望的邊緣

With equal passion I have sought knowledge. I have wished to understand the hearts of man. I have wished to know why the stars shine. A little of this, but not much, I have achieved.
秉持著同樣的熱情。我曾找尋知識。我曾期許能了解人們的內心。我曾希望能了解為何星星總是閃耀著。我已經實現了一點點,卻不是很多。

 
At 6:54 AM, Blogger me said...

1093302021
G4A
Ivy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home